Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Book 'Em, Dano!

I've been fingerprinted. At a police station. Real FBI fingerprints.

No, I didn't break the law. Were you nervous? :) I do have a great story about being held up by the police at gunpoint though. Want to hear it sometime?



Okay, so those weren't acually MY fingerprints (didn't think I should post em on the web. They are Rosa Parks! How crazy!)


As part of my application to become a permenant resident in Canada, I have to go through a battery of medical tests and a bunch of background checks. Including fingerprints in all of the countries I have lived since turning 18. Which is two. Which means that on Thursday I will get another set of prints done at the local police station in town.

Permenant Residancy will allow me to be able to work in Canada - which would be pretty nice. It will also allow me access to their health care system and Shane's benefits. Without that health card, I have to pay for any and all medical services. Sort of like living in the States wihtout insurance.

The application for Permenant Residancy is huge. Thick. Mucho grande amount of pages. It's taking me forever to fill out because I have to remember each and every place I've lived since I turned 18...which is a lot of places. No joke. I can't even think of how many different addresses it's been. Then I have to write out how Shane and I met. The date we met. All our work history. And on and on. That's not to mention the medical tests. Chest X-rays. HIV/AIDS tests. Blood work. I'm sure they will be checking my head for lice and peering into my mouth like they used to do at Ellis Island. Sheesh. It's a lot of stuff. And a LOT of money. When all is said and done, I'm sure it will clock in around $1000. Arg.

But I suppose the pay off is good. The ability to work and earn a living. Health care. Shane's great dental benifits.

Speaking of dental benefits, I have to have a root canal on Friday. Ick. And then I need to book a consult at the oral surgeon's to have my wisdom teeth removed. Why the surgeon's office? Because though my teeth are through, and it is a procedure that could be done at the dental office, my toofers are stradeling the mandibular nerve...which is a big ol' nerve running through the bottom jaw. One nick of that nerve and I'm loosing feeling in my jaw and tongue. Yikes! Still could happen at the oral surgeons...but there is less of a chance.


Well, as much of a boring post as this is, there is my life in a nutshell right now. Exciting news though! My inlaws got a brand spankin' new computer so that means that I will now be able to upload photo's of a more day to day basis to show you what I'm doing in my life. I've rearranged my living room and there are a few more things on the pipeline that I can't wait to show you. Stay tuned my friends!!

7 comments:

Jennifer Owens said...

Between all the paperwork and the upcoming trips to the dentist, that does not sound like a lot of fun!! I can't wait to see the pics you have coming. (o:

Gratitude Gal said...

Wow. I will say, having access to the Canadian healthcare system is such a wonderful opportunity. I am sorry about your root canal, that can't be fun. Keep us posted.

Stephanie said...

Woo Hoo to becoming a permanent resident... however long and tedious a process - yay!
Boo on the trip to the dentist.

Tracey said...

Mandi, congratulations on your adventure in new citizenship!!! What a process to go through and how wonderful to be able to work in a new country and have some decent healthcare. When my daughter lived there she went to school in Port HOpe and she accessed the healthcare system. I have to say.. it is better than ours for the most part. Good Luck to you and I hope you get through all that paperwork with some ease.. have a great night.. Tracey

Mandi Shandi said...

I am the worse about filling out paperwork, so I would have a hard time getting Canadian citizenship. I know what you mean about all the addresses. I moved every year in college and 4 times after. Good luck with the surgery. Keep us posted!

Tonya said...

I can not get over the amount of stuff you have to do to become a Canadian citizen...shocking!!! I'll be praying for ya sister!

No fun about the root canal business!

I've been meaning to email you...the flu bug hit my home again!

Tim said...

Hey there! NOticed you were on allot of my other friends blogs so I decided to stop in. Hope you dont mind. I have enjoyed reading about you, and hope that you will stop in and visit us as well. If its ok, I would like to follow along. You are always welcome to follow with us as well. Our followers always become friends!

God Bless.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails