Thursday, November 20, 2008

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas!

Baby, it's cold outside! If I could only begin to tell you the amount of snow we have been DUMPED with, you'd be falling off your chair. If only my camera weren't in England. Let's put it this way. As of Saturday afternoon, there is an accumulation of over two feet of snow on the patio table on our deck. There was nothing their prior to Saturday. School was let out early today. They are calling for another six inches tonight and another foot by tomorrow. Yikes. And it's supposed to snow on Saturday. Hello, Northeastern PA! I chose the greeeeaaaatest time to come visit. Mmmhhhmm. (*Secret*...I love it!)

If there is anything that snow gets me in the mood for, it's Christmas! I can't wait to get my hands on my decorations and get that cute stuff out. Tonight my mom was making me some Christmas cookies to take back home...Spritz cookies, to be matter of fact. This evening we are hoping to curl up under some quilts and watch a Christmas movie..."An Avonlea Christmas". 'Avonlea' was the 'Anne of Green Gables' spin-off. I can't wait!

Christmas movie watching is one of the biggest traditions that my family and I share. We have certain movies that we watch at specific times and others that we just have to watch. There are usually specific snacks involved (I'll share the recipes in later posts). So, I'm going to share with you some of our favorite movie traditions. Ready? Let's go! This post was inspired by Jenn at Simply Jenn-sational. Thanks!!



It all begins on Thanksgiving evening. We grab our leftovers and settle in to watch this flick. I love when Kevin is singing into his comb to Bing Crosby!



This movie is the major tradition. My dad has watched this show since he was a little boy...since it was first aired on tv and every year he still watches it. Of course, we all watch it with him! He always tells us how he used to watch it until he saw Santa go around the moon. Watch it until the end. You'll see. :)



Christmas Eve finds us celebrating with a big ham dinner with all of the fixin's and then we open some gifts with my grandma and sometimes my uncle. There isn't a Christmas Eve that has gone by that I don't remember my dad puting on "Scrooge" and we girls settelign in with our Chex Mix and Pepsi. Of course we were often to exhausted and way to excited to complete the movie so we would usually head to bed before that scary grim reaper ghost guy made his apperance. (He still gives me the creeps!) As we setteled into our sugar plumb dreams I recall this movie playing muffeled in the background. We like the George C. Scott version of this movie.



Who does not love this movie?? My mom! She HATES it! Imagine that hate compounded with a 24-hour marathon!! Hahah, I love this movie! We open our presents to it each year. It's the best.



Later in the day, George and Mary make their appearance. It always feels so right to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" on Christmas day.




The Santa Clause and The Santa Clause 2 are movies that we just can't forget! I don't think anyone has yet to watch the third one but I think our favorite is the first. Aren't the "first" movies always the best? I like when "Santa" teases Neil about his sweaters.



When my grandma was well, she took us to see this in the theater. I was young but I really remember watching it with her, my mom, and my two sisters. A couple of years ago, my youngest sis, Julie, bought each of us the "Little Women" DVD. I think each of us can recite the whole movie! There is part about "Christmas bundels" that contained goodies. Well, last year, my mom made each family a "Christmas bundel". She included all kinds of homemade things...tree skirts, a table topper mini quilts, hurrican vases with a candle and some other goodies.




I absolutely love those claymation movies! Here are a few that I must watch! Nester the Long Eared Donkey (watch it with a box of Kleenex), "The Year Without a Santa Claus" (the heat miser song...oh my gosh...I am in STITCHES over it!).



I could not get "Elf" out of my DVD player last year but I rarely ever watched the end. So, I'd start it over again the next day. Wouldn't finish so would start again. And the cycle repeated. I think this movie is so cute.



And finally, on a night like tonight, with snow up to your ears, this movie is fully appropriate. It is so heart warming and sweet. I would really recommend trying to get a copy (our library has one) to watch - especially when it is very snowy. You'll feel so good inside. And very thankful that you will not be waking up to snow that covers the roof of our home. You just have to watch!


What are some of your favorite Christmas movies? Do you have any traditions surrounding them?

11 comments:

Genevieve said...

Wonder if we are gonna have a bad winter, it sure is starting early.

An Avonlea Christmas...lurrve it!

My favorite Christmas movie is "It's a Wonderful Life" but I love "Scrooge" as well, what's that tell ya? lol


Oh and I love this guy!!! He is my fav Christmas Icon. Mista Heat Meiser... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C3bHVefvTo

Jessica said...

I love all of the movies! My fav being Home Alone! Makes me want to go dig that out of a box (since everything is packed and waiting to move) and watch it! Im going to have to do that once we get all moved into our new place! When I was a kid I could quote that whole movie I watched it so many times haha!

Thanks for the comment on my Thankful Thursday post! Good to know I am not the only wife whos husband makes her so mad sometimes and over the moon HAPPY at other times! :)

My Mom and I are def not close at the moment. We are better then we were but we are not quite "there" yet if you know what I mean? Im hoping one day we will be tho. Time heals all hurts so Im sure as time passes things will get better!

I cant wait till we get all moved in so I can start decorating and post some pics!!

Saucy said...

Little House, Elf, Rudolph, these are all classics at our house. Little Women also! Wonderful movies.

Angie said...

Where is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase and the Griswolds?! You HAVE to see it if you haven't already. HILARIOUS!!! My other favorites I watch every year are Rudolph, Frosty, Elf, The Year Without A Santa Claus, and I'm sure there are others I am forgetting. I watch all the ones that come on TV. Oooooh, I'm getting all excited just thinking about seeing all these movies. I am such a kid at Christmas! Thanks for letting me know about that awesome site with the stamps and stuff. I saw a bunch of stuff that's really cute. And of course, I love the fleur de lis and rooster stamps! You know what I like!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I put DVD's on my son's list this year, because I hope this will become a tradition for us! Christmas Vacation is one of my faves, as is Funny Farm. It's not really a Christmas movie, but it has so many scenes from Christmas, I love it!!

Elle Jay Bee said...

I say your profile name over ta Just a Girl, and just had to visit. I am a Canadian blogger living in Nova Scotia, and I am crossing my fingers for a white Christmas! I will begin decorating next week, although I've been offering up Christmas posts for some time now...!!

I love your list of holiday movie favourites. My absolute favourite is A Christmas Story (followed closely by the Little House on the Prairie one) and I even dedicate a Christmas tree to it in my home.

Have a look: http://restyledhome.blogspot.com/2007/12/christmas-storyand-first-of-twelve.html

Your mum would probably hate it :)

Linda

Jennifer Owens said...

I'm glad I could inspire your post. (o:

My favorite version of a Christmas carol is the Muppets version actually. I LOVE it. (o: There's this one little part that might go unseen where this little band in the street is playing music and one of the band members accidentally hits one of the others in the face with his trombone. My brother and I would rewind and watch that part over and over when we were little!

I love how fun memories go with Christmas movies! I forgot to mention that one of my other favorites is "All I want For Christmas." Very cute. (o:

the undomesticated wife said...

I love all of the claymation movies too! They had them for every holiday...easter, c-mas, etc. Good memories!

the undomesticated wife said...

Oh, and it's officially cold here now, so you don't have to feel jealous anymore. ;) It was about 32 degrees this morning. I"m still wearing a scarf, and I"m in my office.

Shannon said...

Snow is not a for sure around here so it is always fun when it snows. I love Elf and my recent favorite is The Holiday.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

You are totally speaking my language with the Christmas movies. i am such a sucker for them! My favorite? WHITE CHRISTMAS! Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney...it makes me want to go to Vermont and stay in a bed and breakfast for the holidays. Hmmm...maybe I will watch that tonight!
Carrie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails