Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Making My Own Mirror

The other day I was scoping out the picture frames at Michaels. They were 40% off plus there was an additional 25% off photo frames coupon. Our thrift stores are extremely expensive so sometimes it's almost worth it to pay a sale price for a frame at Michael's then scouring our rip-off "thrift" store for a decent frame. It's unfortunate, but really, their prices our outrageous.

Now that that rant is out of the way!



In the frame aisle where the buy-your-own-mats section is, I found these mirrors.




Beveled mirrors! This 8x10 was on clearance for a little over $5 marked down from over $13. What a score! There were smaller mirrors as well and an 11x14 size. All on clearance - the 11x14 was a little over $7. Beveled mirrors! I tend to think they look more expensive than just a flat ol' mirror. But that's just me. :)  [And FYI - if you live anywhere other than Canada, I'm sure the price is MUCH cheaper. Ever notice the Canadian price on items at Michael's? Yeah, that's what we pay. Outrageous.]

I had this 8x10 frame that I spray painted black. I'm not a super fan of it - the filgere is a little to fancy for my taste, so I may change it out, but for now, I'm working with what I have.


I put the two together and......




Wala! A pretty new mirror!

P.S. It took me no less than four days to put this post together. I couldn't get my photos to load! Sheesh!


10 comments:

Lovely Little Nest said...

What a great find and a fun project! Nicely done :)

Jennifer @ MillerMusings said...

Very cute! I'm now debating heading to our Michael's to see if they have some of those mirrors on clearance!

Kimmy said...

Cute project!! I prefer beveled mirrors as well, I think they have that extra little style that I love!

Tina said...

What a gorgeous project Mandi! I love the mirror in the ornate frame:) Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Tina x

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Great find--I need to check out Michaels out--love these!

Libbyloulou said...

That's lovely! I love beveled mirrors as well.

If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps paint the frame a white colour and rouch it up a bit to look more "french country" or "shabby chic". From what I've seen of your decor, it seems a little dark?

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Libbyloulou - That's actually a really great idea. Ya know, I've seen on so many blogs how others shabby up frames and such - I usually always love the look - just haven't done it myself! I think I may try that out actually. Thanks for the suggestion!

I think I want to go back and get the 11x14 one. We are heading to PA this weekend so I might try and buy it there. Will probably be cheaper!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Libbyloulou - That's actually a really great idea. Ya know, I've seen on so many blogs how others shabby up frames and such - I usually always love the look - just haven't done it myself! I think I may try that out actually. Thanks for the suggestion!

I think I want to go back and get the 11x14 one. We are heading to PA this weekend so I might try and buy it there. Will probably be cheaper!

Debra said...

Really cute. Michaels does have some deals if you look aroung.

Small House said...

Great project. This was a lucky find. And yes...I have noticed the price difference, I would be bugged if I was the one paying the higher price. Glad you could get a deal on the mirrors.
Have a good day.
Sandra

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails